A Travellerspoint blog

My 2008 Travel to Singapore, KL and Thailand

Bangkok, Final Leg


If I were to give an endorsement of something that I really liked during my trip, I will highly recommend two: first the VIP Double-Decker Air-conditioned Bus from Phuket to Bangkok and second, the Bangkok Centre Sukhumvit 25 Hostel on 25 Sukhumvit, Bangkok.

After the bus driver dropped me at the Phuket Terminal, I boarded the VIP Double-Decker Air-conditioned bus. It is a double decker bus with toilet, two drivers and a uniformed hostess serving snacks and softdrinks. The VIP bus ticket shows the words Office of Small and Medium Enterprises Promotion. The trip was very smooth and comfortable, a far cry from the long train rides that I had on the locomotive trains! The Phuket to Bangkok trip took only 12 hours from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. A full dinner was served in a restaurant where we had our only stop-over at 10:00 p.m. A Thai film which had an English sub-title was shown. It was a movie about a coach who painstakingly built a tug of war team composed of kindergarten boys. It was funny with a very strong message on the pressures of winning and how small kids handle it.

When we arrived at the Southern Bus Terminal in Bangkok, we bought a taxi coupon for a fixed fare of 500 Thai Baht for a taxi trip from the Terminal to Sukhumvit 25 where our hostel was located.

The Bangkok Centre Sukhumvit Hostel is highly recommended. It was very accommodating: they simply asked me to pay a membership fee of 200 Thai baht which is valid for three years. I was given an air-conditioned room with hot and cold shower, tv and refrigerator. It was more than what I needed. I was only looking for a place where I could leave my baggages but I got a room where I can freshen up with shower and have a few hours of rest before I went shopping at Pratunam area. For the room stay from 8:30 a.m. till 8:00 p.m. I paid only 800 Thai baht!

At 10:00 a.m.I went to Pratunam area. I simply took a bus from the hostel to Pratunam. I shopped till 4:00 p.m. and went back to the hostel for some rest until I left for the airport at 8:00 p.m.

The hostel made an arrangement for a taxi (actually it was a Mazda 3 which was privately owned) for me. It was a colorum vehicle (just like in the Philippines) for 350.00 Thai baht from the Hostel to the airport.

My flight though was very much delayed. When I checked-in, the flight advisory board had indicated that the flight was moved to 2:00 a.m. but we were able finally left at 3:00 a.m. already. The Cebu Pacific air flight stewardess apologized for the delay but blamed the authorities of the NAIA 3 terminal for the delay. According to her, there was confusion in the NAIA that caused their delay in departing from Manila which had also resulted to the delay of their arrival in Bangkok.

We finally landed NAIA 3 at 7:00 a.m., August 3. I was very thankful to God for the learning I got from the trip. More over, God made it possible that during the entire trip we had a very fine weather while it had been raining here in Manila during that period!


Edgar Sandalo

Posted by E. Sandalo 08:18 Archived in Thailand Tagged lodging

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.